The Year By gone 2005

And so , another year has passed and yours sincerely is now only a few months away from becoming eighteen years old.2005 , on the whole had been a good year for me but a mixed one for my family members.The year started on a high note as I , after my dismal Selection Tests made up much lost ground by doing well at the proxy tests of Pathfinder .My Madhyamik results were also satisfactory and I remained a student of SPHS, ahem a status symbol.

It was in the month of April this year that I boarded an Air India flight and went to Mumbai all by myself. I had made a journey-via- air once previously but I was an infant then and understandably have no memories of the event.Thus I was very much excited and more so because the flight which I was supposed to board was an international flight bound for New York.Thus I had decided that if no one asked me to leave the flight after reaching Mumbai , I would remain within the flight and would perhaps even have a chance of crossing Indian borders.But alas,as soon as I landed at Chatrapati Shivaji International Terminus I heard Mishraji's voice--"Chotesaab aap aa geye" and hence all my dreams of going to New York were thwarted, at least for the time being.

Breakfast inside the flight was an interesting experience.I had decided long before that I would eat everything that would be offered to me.I say so for many of my friends had given me detailed descriptions of the mouth-watering biryanis and pulaos that were served at dinner and hence hoped that I would be served the same.But as luck would have it, it was a morning flight and I was served bread with jam and oranges . One can imagine my sorry state for one moment I was trying to guess whether I would be served Mutton Biryani or Chicken Biryani and the next moment I was staring down at a plate full of fruits. Now people who travel frequently know that when breakfast is served ,a pouch containing milk powder and sugar is placed along the spoon and fork. I being a first-time flier had no idea of this and hence when tea was served I found it to be very sour and hence wondered how I could make it taste sweet.You see I did not want to call the air-hostess nor did I want to waste my food .It was then that an excellent idea came to my mind.I poured some butter into the tea as a replacement of milk and some strawberry jam to compensate for the sugar.When I tasted the final mixture it seemed heavenly and hence I was bloody proud of my achievement and for a moment even saw myself as Chef Gaurav of Khana Khazana 20 years from now .But later when I remembered the incident and decribed it to my uncle he laughed at me and from then onwards I have described the event to others differently, to put me in better light.

People decribe Mumbai as the City of Dreams and I found the city to be fascinating.On weekends we would go sight-seeing and I enjoyed greatly the trips to Lonavala ,Bordi and Panvel.

When I returned to Kolkata I found that "tuition-fever" had already caught up with most of the students and hence I was no exception.The year was also special for academically I did quite reasonably at my boards and at my Half -Yearly.Moreover my uncle,aunt and cousins from Australia came to India during the Pujas and we had great fun for after a gap of 11 long years all of Ma's siblings were under the same roof.I saw Ronnie,my cousin brother for the first time and he looked radically different from his pictures.Ronnie is only 2 years old and hence cannot speak fluently but I loved greatly the times when he said "Go dada cartoon chalao".My Didi also came to India from the U.S after a period of 3 years and we had great fun listening to western music and playing P.C games.

But every year has its bad moments and this year was no exception.It was in this year that my maternal grandfather was detected with multiple myloma and hence we were were very upset.Ma , who is very close to Dadu was affected greatly and thus rushes to Saltlake from time-to time to tend to his needs.Dadu is now under chemo-therapy and his condition is recovering considerably.Lets hope that he recovers completely and lives a healthy life for years to come.

With the New Year comes New Year resolutions .These are my resolutions for 2006

1)Work hard and remember the Trigo formulas
2)Stop being a back-bencher and move to the front benches for a change
3)Sing properly or else give up singing
4)Stop behaving like Howard Roark
5)Read less novels and more text-books
6)Gain more weight and if possible become a few inches taller
7)Use my P.C for doing important jobs and not play games.
8)Keep my academic graph rising
and most importantly try to make a difference to the lives of others who are not as fortunate as me

Lets hope I keep my promises

Popular posts from this blog

The End of An Affair

Laganu Bhonu (The Grand Feast) [Part One]

Contemporary India -From the eyes of an 18 year old