NEW AGE ???RUBBISH

Remember all those times when this movie had been released and was creating ripples at the box-time.Your friends were repeatedly saying that it was the best thing to have ever happened to Indian cinema and you were dying to check it out.In most cases however you were bound to find that the film was absolutely hogwash , very over-rated and full of technical glitches .Yet you would seem like an idiot if you would try to point this out to your friends who would either appreciate your views (very unlikely) OR would probably question your sanity and remark haplessly that you had no idea on what good cinema was.The situation would become even more complicated if any of your family members would second the opinion of your friends and you were bound to ponder over whether all of these people were right and whether you should watch the movie in question for a second time.

Recently this movie had been released with this so called “great message” and people were swearing by it .Most of my friends were busy writing how they had changed after seeing the movie in question while some very hyper-critical ones were busy thrashing the movie saying that it was rubbish. I will not go into a debate about who was right and who was wrong for I am sure that none of us will possibly reach a conclusion this way. But I do have something to say , something very important ……………………………

I was shocked to find the audience clapping at a suggestion that all our ministers be shot. Very recently one of my friends had even gone on to write how he detested politics saying that it was full of dirt and corruption.I respect his opinion although I beg to differ.

We are afraid of taking responsibility ourselves, we run away when someone asks for help, we are afraid of taking severely injured people to the hospitals why ?because we don’t want to be in trouble ourselves .Yet we find ourselves speaking like Howard Roark on how idealism is necessary,how change is necessary.

Lennon had said:-

“You may say I’m a dreamer
But I’m not the only one
Hope someone you’ll join us
And the world will be one.’

No wonder he fell victim to Mark Chapman

This Poila boishakh when all of us were wandering aimlessly wearing new clothes and humming “Roobaroo roshni” – did we even for a moment look at the man in torn rags next to us selling plastic toys ? Did we even for a second look at this poor illiterate child distributing pamplets of a renowned educational institution , did we ever shed a tear for this old woman, begging for money ,pleading – “ Babu kichu khete dao”.

Some might argue that it is impossible to distinguish between right and wrong ,how on earth can we know if someone is really in need of true help or if someone is bluffing. They have a concrete reason for saying so for in most cases we find that people who desperately seek help turn out to be hoaxes , some might even say that is it our fault that all these people are poor?Are we to blame for being financially secure?

The bottomline is that we have become spineless creatures,selflish inviduals.There’s room for improvement however but not enough initiative to do so .The idealism bit is crap ,the revolution bit is crap .We can never change the society we live in , rather we don’t want to change the society to live in

I might be thrashed for publishing this post yet I do not care .

“ The words of a prophet are written on the subway walls,
(They) echoed
Through the sounds of silence.”.

Popular posts from this blog

The End of An Affair

Laganu Bhonu (The Grand Feast) [Part One]

Contemporary India -From the eyes of an 18 year old